- This event has passed.
Drafting Client Engagement Letters in Trust and Estate Planning
December 2, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Client engagement letters are the foundation of a successful representation in trust and estate planning, administration or fiduciary litigation. It’s where expectations are set – about fees, timelines, and who you are representing. Difficult issues involving conflicts of interests and decision-making can also be framed and addressed. These letters clarify goals and substantially reduce the risk of later dispute. This program will provide you a practical guide to using client engagement letters to provide the foundation of a successful relationship in trust and estate planning, administration and litigation.
Handout Materials will be emailed to you prior to the seminar
1.0 MCLE Credit Hour
- Most important elements of successful client engagement letter
- Spousal representations – joint representation or separate, and practical difficulties of each
- Representing multiple generations of a family – who is in charge?
- Lawyer as fiduciary – what must you do if you’re the trustee
- How to handle extant or developing client incapacity
- Ongoing communication and billing issues
- Providing for withdrawal from an engagement – when and how
Daniel L. Daniels, Wiggin and Dana, LLP – Greenwich, Connecticut